I was in the mood for something sweet and salty for dinner. I love butternut squash and coconut milk and caramelized onion so I combined these for a really yummy pasta sauce that had just the right amount of sweet and savory and a tiny bit of spiciness from a dash of red pepper flakes. We enjoyed the sauce on pasta as well as quinoa and actually just by the spoonful because it’s so good. It’s a cool recipe and really fun to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Happy cooking! Lyla
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil (2 Tablespoons for roasting the squash and 1 Tablespoon to sauté the onion)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup plain almond milk
- 3/4 teaspoons salt (1/2 teaspoon for roasting squash and 1/4 teaspoon to add to the sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 shake of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put squash on a sheet pan and coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper (you can use parchment paper so it doesn’t stick).
- Arrange squash on one layer and roast for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, sauté onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for about 7 minutes so it just starts to caramelize then add in coconut milk, almond milk, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes. Stir on low heat for about 5 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.
- When squash is done, let cool for a few minutes.
- In a food processor add the squash and purée. Add saucepan ingredients to the processor and purée (you can also use an immersion mixer).
- Add sauce back into saucepan and reheat on low until ready to serve.
- Delicious on pasta and quinoa.
- Serves 6
2 thoughts on “Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce”
I love this blog! I am girl who loves to cook and bake myself. I have also been trying to cut down on the amount of meat I am eating, so this blog is perfect for me. I have already made the Tortilla Soup and I loved it! Next, I’m planning to make the Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce; sounds so yummy!
Hi, Thank you for following us! And sorry for a delayed response! Let us know you you make the squash pasta sauce – it’s actually really good as a dip too! Have a great day.