Usually during winter or on a cold day you crave a warm, delicious meal. And it just so happened that we had a snow day the other day. So I came up with this recipe that totally fulfilled my cravings and hopefully yours! But because asparagus is really big in the spring, this will be a great dish to make then as well especially with the refreshing taste of the lemon. We used to not like mushrooms, but now we do and they are really good in this dish. The sauce is very flavorful and really delicious. I hope you enjoy it. Emily
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 quarter purple onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb mixed asparagus and sliced mushrooms (asparagus cut into 1/2 size slices)
- 1/2 a purple onion, chopped
- 1 lb fettuccini pasta (regular or gluten free)
- a few pinches of salt and several grinds of pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of peas (we use frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 2 cups veggie broth
- zest and juice of 1 1/2 lemon (wash your lemon)
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat and let warm. Add oil.
- Add your chopped onions.
- Sauté the onions for about 6 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the shallots and let cook for a few minutes with the onions
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute
- Add butter to the pan, then add the mushrooms, asparagus and purple onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Sauté for about 8 minutes.
- Then add lemon juice, lemon zest, veggie broth and wine. Simmer for about 10-12 minutes (or longer). You want the asparagus nice and soft (I put a top on the pan for a little bit because I wanted the asparagus a little more tender).
- Add the peas a few minutes before done. I add them near the end so they don’t get mushy.
- While the veggies are simmering, boil your pasta according to the directions on the package, then strain and set aside.
- Add the pasta to the sauté pan and toss together.
- Serve warm with freshly graded parmesan and enjoy!
Emily and Lyla,
The Kitchen Twins