Tonight my dad and I made dinner. He usually likes to make foods with spice so we decided to make one of our favorites – our homemade tortilla soup with freshly made tortilla strips. The soup was the centerpiece of our dinner along with a salad and toast. It’s simple and really really good. Enjoy, The Kitchen Twins (Lyla)
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoons safflower oil (or whatever oil you want)
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1- 28 can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups low sodium veggie broth
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (homemade)
- 1 cup frozen roasted corn, thawed
- Tortilla chips (for topping). Homemade are delicious. See recipe below.
- 1 Avocado (for topping)
- Greek Yogurt (for topping)
- Cilantro (for topping)
- Heat oil add onion and sauté onion until translucent.
- Add in a garlic and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add in can of tomatoes, taco seasoning and veggie broth.
- Remove from heat. Blend with immersion blender or in batches in blender.
- Add in corn and stir.
- Top with a handful of tortilla strips, diced avocado, a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of cilantro.
HOMEMADE TORTILLA CHIPS
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- Safflower Oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Cut tortilla into strips with scissors.
- Spray with a light amount of olive oil just enough so the salt sticks.
- Toss with coarse sea salt.
- Put on cookie sheet at 325 for 12-15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Serve with your homemade soup!