For our birthday our grandparents got us a gift certificate to William Sonoma and we got a sushi making kit. We love sushi and this was even better because we could make it ourselves! So, if you love sushi and want to make it at home, but need some tips, click here and watch us do it. Also, the sushi is great for school lunch.
Our ingredient List for a family of 4:
- 3 cups Botan Calrose Rice (you’ll remember it in store as it’s a white bag with a red flower on it)
- 1/2 cup Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
- Nori (this is seaweed)
- Red Pepper
- Sesame Seeds
- Wasabi Powder (you add water to make a paste)
- Rinse Rice well.
- Add rice to 4 cups of water in a sauce pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove rice with a wooden spoon from sauce pan and put in a bowl (we use a wooden salad bowl. You use a wooden spoon because it is gentle on the rice.)
- Add in the seasoned rice vinegar to the rice, gently stirring with wooden spoon.
- Layout sushi mat and on top place the nori.
- IMPORTANT RICE LAYOUT TIP. Use WET fingers and layout the rice layer (not too thick) on top of the nori so the nori is covered with the rice. Then place your ingredients in one line on top of the rice. Watch video instruction on how to roll. Your rolls will get better and better each time.
- IMPORTANT ROLL CUTTING TIP: Always Cut your roll from the center. Then cut again from the center that way nothing oozes out.
- Lay all the rolls on a big platter and enjoy with wasabi, ginger or tamari (this is a gluten free soy sauce).