We went strawberry picking with our mom and got tons of strawberries. We made 2 desserts and then we made strawberry jam it’s berry good ( :
This fresh strawberry jam we got online from epicurious. The recipe is below. We liked it because it uses an apple for the pectin. Pectin in what makes the jam thicken.
We have put the jam on yogurt, Luna and Larry’s coconut ice cream, toast, cheese and eaten it on its own.
- 1 pound fresh (or frozen, thawed) hulled, quartered strawberries
- 2/3 cup sugar (we did a little less because our strawberries were so sweet)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Combine 1 pound fresh (or frozen, thawed) hulled, quartered strawberries and 2/3 cup sugar in a large heavy skillet.
- Stir in 1 peeled, coarsely grated large Granny Smith apple.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up strawberries, until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer until jam is thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
- Transfer to a bowl or jar; let cool.
- Cover and chill until set, about 2 hours.
- Keep chilled; serve within 2 weeks.
This recipe is gluten free and vegan and very delicious!.
Emily and Lyla, The Kitchen Twins